Sunday, June 5, 2011

Gwiz's Favorite Techdirt Posts Of The Week

This week's favorites post comes courtesy of Gwiz.

I have to admit that when I first said I would give the Favorite Posts a shot, I didn't realize how hard it would be to pick a few favorites from so many interesting articles. I happened to luck into a shorter week due to the holiday and I thought it might be easier, but not so much. Anyway, without further preamble, here are my picks for the week:

As an average working stiff with no vested interest in the industries usually discussed on Techdirt, my interests tend to lean towards the articles that deal with the slow erosion of things I hold dearly, like privacy, due process and protection against unreasonable search and seizures. The story about Austrian police seizing computers used as a Tor exit node was especially interesting to me. I found the initial discussion concerning anonymity on the internet to be very enlightening. This article also spawned an interesting phenomena in the comment section when one of the commenters voiced an extremely distasteful view of pedophilia. The subsequent reaction of the Techdirt community to this commenter became a very good argument in itself as to why the internet really is not a wild west that needs to be regulated and can do a fine job of policing itself.

Along the same lines, we had a few articles concerning PROTECT IP and the technological implications of this bill, which actually made me go and read the white paper written by some of the most knowledgeable people in regards to the DNS system. And, as an added bonus, we got to see a video of Mike discussing this issue. We also had the RIAA more or less attacking the public domain and telling us that it really has no value. At least, to offset that to some degree, we had the Polish Prime Minister realizing that things funded with public monies should be in the public domain. We need more thinking in that direction.

Making an account on any website is something I rarely do, but I felt compelled to register a profile on Techdirt for one main reason, the generally high level intelligence and mostly civil debates that happen in the comments section here. I have learned quite a bit from reading both sides of the debates and have on occasion had to revise my initial stance on issues because of it. The article about the arrest of people dancing at the Washington Memorial was one such post. When I last looked there were over 350 comments and the debate over civil disobedience and the reactions by law enforcement. Unfortunately, since I needed to keep abreast of all of the Techdirt articles this week, I haven't finished reading though them all, but what I did read was fascinating.

On a brighter note, it's good to see a body such as the UN acknowledging that the three strike laws and ACTA pose civil rights problems.

And lastly, on the humorous side of things, I found it very funny to see two fully grown companies acting like children on the playground and the Malaysian man who was required to apologize 100 times on Twitter for defaming someone, kind of like a modern day equivalent of writing "I will not say bad things about Susie" on the chalkboard.

Well, that's it for my Favorites this week. I hope you enjoyed them and it's back to lurking in the comment section for me.

Permalink | Comments | Email This Story


Brody Dalle Taryn Manning Nikki Cox Carla Gugino Ana Hickmann

No comments:

Post a Comment