Monday, January 31, 2011

JohnJac's Favorite Posts Of The Weeks

Last week JohnJac totally dominated the favorite comments, so we figured we might as well let him do the favorite posts of the week this week.

I really, really, wanted this post to be funny and?optimistic.?However as I read Techdirt, it became clear this week had a theme: governments over-reacting to?technology. ?This point was driven home when Egypt shut their people off from the Internet: I've?snickered in the past at other governments'?attempts to block skype or to block all of YouTube over a single video. ?If you had asked me last week, would a government go so far as to shut all internet access down, I would have told you no way.

While we're on the subject, check out this post over at Marginal Revolution, talking about how this move is likely to backfire for the?Egyptian government.

Other?governments are not?immune?from over-reaction, but thankfully not to the extent Egypt has gone. I love to hear some comments below on how 'we the people' can help our governments understand and not fear technology. ?Half my?professional career was spent working for a state government in a?technical roll, and I'm still at a loss as to how this can change.

But all hope isn't lost: On the lighter side, there is hope that people are using all the tools?available to them to create something new. ?The standout story here is?Pomplamoose. ?I just love what they are doing. My?Favorite?Comment of the week goes to John B. ?On Mike's story about Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin,?John B. said this: ?"This post isn't about tech, but it's about dirt, so there's that."

Many thanks to Mike and the Techdirt?Community for letting me share my thoughts.

Permalink | Comments | Email This Story


Paz Vega Rebecca Mader Eva Green Lauren Conrad Arielle Kebbel

No comments:

Post a Comment