Wednesday, January 26, 2011

ACS:Law Apparently Gives Up For Real

This was suggested in our recent post about the "fake company" used by ACS:Law's Andrew Crossley suddenly telling people to forget the letters demanding payments, but Andrea See lets us know that Crossley has announced he's "ceased" his work on shaking down alleged file sharers. Of course, he can't resist playing the victim in doing so:
"I have ceased my work...I have been subject to criminal attack. My e-mails have been hacked. I have had death threats and bomb threats," he said in the statement, read to the court by MediaCAT's barrister Tim Ludbrook.

"It has caused immense hassle to me and my family," he added.
If it's true that he's had death threats and bomb threats, that's really unfortunate, and hopefully those who were involved in such activities also get tracked down. No matter how ridiculous one is abusing the legal system for profit, that's simply no excuse for death threats. That said, Crossley has waged a years-long campaign shaking people down for money, threatening them with massive legal fines if they don't pay up, frequently accusing people with little or illegitimate evidence. And after multiple setbacks and questions about his activities (including an investigation from the regulatory body that oversees lawyers), that he's only now realizing it's best to get out of the business seems like he stuck at it way beyond what most folks would consider reasonable. It's also why I wonder if he'll really stay away for that long. I imagine this is not the last we'll hear of Andrew Crossley.

Permalink | Comments | Email This Story


Zoe Saldana Rachel Perry Mary Elizabeth Winstead Piper Perabo

No comments:

Post a Comment