Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Feature: Can you really learn to race by playing racing games? Ars takes to the track

As a hardcore racing fan, the first racing game I remember really getting into was an F1 game for the SNES. But it wasn't until the release of Gran Turismo (GT) on the PSone that the game console was at last able to provide a virtual outlet for those of us whose desire to race exceeded our budgets. Since that day, racing games have continued to give us more life-like physics, more realistic graphics, better AI, and the chance to race against other humans as online multiplayer action became possible. Peripherals have gotten better (and more expensive), and the best of them promise to immerse us in the paddock from the comfort of our couches. All of this has been great fun for racing fans, but is any of it really true-to-life? What do racing video games teach you about racing real cars? I was recently able answer to this question when I got the opportunity to go ChumpCar racing.

Before I get any further, let's get something out of the way. I know there are PC racing sims that have more realistic physics models out there. I've played a couple of hours of GTR, but nothing more. But I have played lots of GT and Forza Motorsport, along with other console racers down the years, and that's the gaming experience I drew from as I tried doing it in real life.

Read the rest of this article...

Read the comments on this post


Rozonda Thomas Rachel Weisz Miranda Kerr Sarah Shahi Anna Paquin

No comments:

Post a Comment